Saturday, January 31, 2015

The Art of Architecture


The world is full of beautiful buildings,

and Architecture can stand alone as the subject of an interesting image. 

"Noble life demands a noble architecture" wrote Frank Lloyd Wright, "for noble uses of noble men. Lack of culture means what it has always meant: ignoble civilization and therefore imminent downfall."

Interior St. Peter's by Catherine L. Gauldin
18 x 24 Colored Pencil
Collection of the artist

Architectural Art is something other than Architectural Illustration, though both strive towards an accurate representation of buildings and the built environment.  When the structure already exists, the artistic image explores the rhelm of designed human emotion, and that is the drama of great Architecture. 

It has been said that Architectural design is as 'like' music as music is similar to any of the Arts  As an Artist whose background and training is in Architectural Design, I do not recognize a definite line of separation between any of the avenues of the inborn creative impulse but instead find my real inspiration in the process of creativity and am of the opinion that the product is always secondary to the procedure itself. 

My name is Catherine Gauldin and I have been an Architectural Illustrator since 1983.  I graduated with a degree in Architecture from Texas A&M University and with the exception of a couple of years when I worked for several Architectural firms, was engaged full time in that eye-straining yet rewarding occupation.  I have had in my life the opportunity to travel extensively in both the United States and in Europe, and I cherish both the privilege of being able to experience the great Architecture of the world and the ability to translate images that I have seen and photographed into Architectural and Fine Art. 

Sir Winston Churchill once wrote, "We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us."
























No comments: